Don’t worry, this is not some boo-hoo my life sucks kind of thing.
This is not about regret.
This is not about looking back and wishing that I would have done things differently in the past because I do believe that every experience both good and not so good has an important lesson to share as long as we’re willing to listen (and not constantly repeat them).
Now with that being said, there are still quite a few days that I would like to hop into my time machine and smack around my younger self a bit for acting like such an idiot.
I thought I would take this opportunity to start organizing my thoughts so when that day finally comes I’ll be ready. . .
1. Don’t spend more than $10 on mascara. Target sells one that works just fine.
2. It won’t matter later on that he was a jock.
3. Your push-up bra is VERY obvious.
4. If he cheats on you, don’t go back. He won’t change.
5. Don’t tell your mom you hate her, because you don’t.
6. Call your grandma every now and then.
7. Some people just don’t like you, don’t let it bother you.
8. You were beautiful before he told you.
9. Not all stereotypes are true, get to know someone before judging them.
10. Don’t let mistakes define who you are.
11. But also learn from those mistakes.
12. Eat all the home-cooked meals while you still can.
13. Your mom spots a fake friend way before you do.
14. Enjoy your metabolism while you still have one.
15. There’s more to life than a Friday night.
16. If your parents buy you something, whether it’s McDonalds or a new phone, say thank you.
17. Prom is not “the best night of your life”, but go anyway.
18. Also, high school are not the best years of your life.
19. Enjoy high school while you still can, trust me, you’ll miss some of it.
20. It’s a bad day not a bad life.
21. Bad times will make you appreciate the good times.
22. Stop comparing yourself to others.
23. Learn to apologize.
24. He probably isn’t the love of your life.
25. Sex doesn’t make you mature or an adult.
26. Innocence is beautiful.
27. Stop pretending to be someone you aren’t just to impress people.
28. Just eat the donut.
29. You’re gonna regret buying that $90 Anthropology shirt.
30. Pray for your future husband.
31. Pray for your future kids, too.
32. Nothing good happens after midnight, just go home.
33. Put others before yourself.
34. You deserve all the happiness in the world, stop worrying about him.
35. Stop speeding. It’s better to arrive late than not at all.
36. If you love God, then you should love people.
37. Enjoy life, it goes by faster than you think.
To all the high school kids reading this- I hope you know that even though life sucks sometimes, you will have plenty of amazing moments in the future that make you forget about the hard times. You will have moments of laughter, joy, and thankfulness that compensate for those times you failed a test or a boy broke your heart. Be willing to adventure through life, and go through the bad with a smile knowing the best is yet to come. Embrace your innocence and stop trying to grow up so fast.
“One day you’re 17 and you’re planning for someday. And then quietly, without you ever really noticing, someday is today. And then someday is yesterday. And this is your life.” -One Tree Hill